Monday, July 29, 2013

Bye Bye Binky

I think knowing that Ethan is my last baby I am not as eager to let him become a "big boy". Hence the issue of not taking his pacifer at a younger age. And it didnt' help when we visited the dentist that he told me it was fine for him to have it until abround 4 and even as old as 5. Although I knew I wanted to break him much earlier than that it dawned on me that he was 3 and would be pushing 4 before I knew it. I had tried it once before and he cried crocodile tears so I just gave it back to him. Seriously, what could it hurt if he only took it at bed and naptime if it meant keeping my sanity :). He wasn't the child who walked around in public with it hanging out while trying to talk. It was his soothing item and I understood it comforted him. Poor kid has lived in 3 states in 3 year of his life :). Yes I know excuses excuses.

With much determination I talked to Ethan about sleeping without binky and how he will always be my little biggie boy but that it was time for him to sleep without it. The first night was a bit rough but after that he was a true champ! It helped that I "bribed" him with a chart to fill up with stickers each night he slept without it. AFter 2 weeks of no binky he earned his prize of firetruck toys. ( I bought on clearance at Christmas and stashed them). He was so excited and so proud of himself.

I must admit it was bittersweet. Although I was so so proud of him for giving it up so easily I miss going in there to kiss him goodnight and seeing binky in his mouth. It is another reminder of just how much he is growing and changing.

Only bad note is that now he doesn't nap AT ALL because he just couldn't sleep during the day without it. Nighttime he is so worn out that he crashes as soon as his head hits the pillow. I must say sometimes I want to give it back just for 2 hours of quiet time and to sneak in a nap myself :).

No comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
Shawn and I have been married almost 10 years. We married right before he commissioned out of college so we have gone thru military life together. Not always easy but makes you appreciate the time together. We have one son, James, who was born in Nov. 2006. Ethan was born July 2009 That's it for us! Two is a good number.

Followers

My Blog List